The duties and responsibilities of a social media manager are many. A good social media manager must get ready to juggle all kinds of job-related tasks and work hours that aren’t so traditional. Many work all day, some work all night and most Social Media Managers – if not all – will have some type of social media activity or tasks going on both day AND night.
While the list of duties and responsibilities seem to be never ending, if you are passionate about what you do, it can be fun, exciting and very fulfilling. A good social media manager can make a great living doing what they love to do!
For those not working as Social Media professionals, there seems to be some misconception that the job is easy as it’s “only posting to Facebook”. I’ve heard this before, but actually the job involves much more. Here are some basic duties and responsibilities that a social media manager will be performing on a daily basis:
- Finding a target audience and using strategy to turn those prospects into clients.
- Developing and implementing effective social media campaigns that are tailored to meet the needs of their clients.
- Starting and participating in multiple conversations.
- Keeping up to date on social media trends and analysis and putting that knowledge to use when working on campaigns. In other words, there is a great deal of tracking that you will be doing and based on the data and analysis, you will be able to formulate a plan that works for your clients.
- Blogging, vlogging (video blogging), posting, pinning, tweeting and any other activities that help with branding of your clients, establishing rapport and providing customer service.
- Tracking and reporting. This is something you will be doing a lot of. You will be tracking your activities, monitoring results and reporting these to your clients.
- For larger corporations with larger projects, you may be responsible for recruiting and managing social media staff. This also puts you in the driver’s seat as far as making sure the staff members have the appropriate tools and information to do the job that is expected of them.
- Implementation and management of all activities on social media platforms as well as knowledge of tools and applications will be an everyday duty.
- Customer service is another essential duty and responsibility that you will find is very important when working on social media campaigns. Customer interaction will be something you will do on a daily basis.
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is another essential activity.
- You must be a team player and be willing to work with others in the company.
In actual fact, the list of duties and responsibilities can go on and on. You will find that some clients may require more, and some may require less. It all depends on the individualised social media campaign and the results they are looking for. That is one reason why it is extremely important to know the current social media trends so you are able to develop a campaign that works for your clients and meets their individual needs.
As a social media manager, once you begin building your client database, be prepared for a hectic schedule and a great deal of strategizing. While you have a great deal of knowledge, keep in mind that your role, the tools you use and technology are ever changing.